Monday, April 17, 2006

Solidarity

Myspace has been making a lot of headlines lately, and not just for criminal cases involving shady get togethers. No, Myspace is the current hot-site for all hipster internet surfers, undiscovered artists seeking to peddle their wares, and just about anyone interested in telling complete strangers the random mundane details of their lives. By now roughly half the population of the planet has a blog on myspace, creating an instant, imaginary community that includes your closest friends and everyone else they've ever bumped into on a chatroom. In today's onslaught of information, data and entertainment, it's the perfect place to start a grassroots campaign for your own uniqueness. Or so I've heard.

You see, I've so far resisted the urge to migrate to myspace. When these cultural focus points come into existence, it gets to a point where I avoid them out of sheer stubborn-ness. I won't allow myself to join the herd and do whatever everyone else is doing. Yes, I realize that means my life is STILL being dictated by the herd, but you obviously missed the part where I called myself stubborn.

Still, it was brought to my attention earlier this month, in a thought echoing one I've had many times, that in this day and age, when there are more websites to visit than their are people online at any given moment, that all this great work I'm doing here may be in vain. How is word going to get out there to the masses who are suffering in ignorance of my great works? Well, I have not yet found a logical response to that, but in an act of solidarity with my fellow outsiders to the herd of myspace, I've decided to plug a couple of blogs I think everyone reading my blog will enjoy. Maybe this will get them a little bit more recognition, because in both cases I think they might deserve it even more than I do. I know, I know, impossible, right?

So first off, I have to give credit where credit is due to Rick, the maestro of Cinema4Pylon, a wonderful film review blog, and Cinema4CelBloc, an animation blog. Without him, my blog wouldn't even exist. All hate mail can be directed towards his sites. Rick is basically the type of being I want to be when I grow up, which is to say, not very grown up at all. Cinema4Pylon is probably the easiest to get into, although it's about as frequently updated as mine. Cinema4CelBloc is amazingly informative, and exhaustively produced daily(!), and if you have even a passing interest in animation, well worth the read.

The second blog I'll promote today belongs to my Kung Fu brother Eric, over at TrajectoryCruise. As of this writing it's only got the one post, but Eric is one of the smartest people I know, and despite his pessimism(which seems to be receding), always entertaining in his delivery. I'll also forgive him this once for stealing some of my zombie thunder from an upcoming post to my site.

So there, three sites by two talented individuals who deserve the attention, and have chosen to subbornly stake their claims outside of the myspace network. Hopefully this word of mouth helps.

No comments: